It seems as though Beck is finally making a turn around in his night time sleeping schedule. His usual routine has been feeding at 9PM, 11PM, 1AM, 3AM, 5AM, 7AM and then wide awake to face the day. After getting the bib, burp cloth and nipple shield ready, feeding, burping, feeding, diaper change and then one more feeding session, close to an hour has passed... not to mention the time it takes for me to make myself a snack (read pour large bag of Reeses Pieces in my mouth). So between each feeding I have an hour to sleep if I'm lucky. And I'm never lucky. Most days Beck is not satisfied with his prior feeding and wakes up after 1.5 hours- 30 minute nap, you can go walk off a cliff.
WELLLLL, as of Monday, Beck has decided he doesn't need his 11PM or 1AM feedings anymore and will sleep from about 10 to 2:30!!!! From 30 minutes to 4 hours and 30 minutes, I have hit the jackpot. From 2:30 on, he is back on his eating every 1.5 to 2 hours schedule and also chooses to begin his day an hour or 2 earlier, between 5AM and 6AM, but for those 4.5 hours I am in Heaven. I hate to write about this because I'm sure that secures an endless night tonight, but I am just so proud of our big boy. We'll see how long this trend lasts...
So, so long 1 AM, next time I see you I hope to be at Rosebuds with a beer in hand.
3AM, I'll see you tonight.
6AM: Mom takes me on a walk to try and get me to go back to sleep.
*Here's a questions for other moms, the doctor said I'm supposed to wake Beck up every 4 hours at night to eat if he hadn't woken up already (ha). Monday night, I had to wake him up... he wasn't hungry at all and barely ate, once I put him back down he woke up an hour later because then he was hungry. Well at that point, he just needed a little snack since he had eaten an hour earlier. Guess how long that snack lasted... 1 more hour, I'm up again, this time for a big meal, thank God... I think if I had just waited until maybe 5 hours he would have woken up himself, would have been hungry and eaten enough to tide him over for maybe another 2 or so hours. Is it ok to wait until he wakes up? He's gaining a ton of weight so I'm not worried about him not getting enough to eat... if it's not evident in his above schedule, believe me, he eats. Is this more of a breastfeeding, don't want you to lose your milk supply by waiting too long thing? Should I just ask the doctor? Help!

5 comments:
Great Aunt Jo says "NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY!". Tyler's pediatrician even told me not to wake him to give him his medicine. He didn't have to tell me twice! I'm sure everyone has advice....that is just what worked for us.... I think you are doing an awesome job....Beck is one LUCKY little boy... Love you guys!!!!
A wise woman, my mother, told me, "Never wake a sleeping baby!!" B.B. raised nine children back in the day and I think that sage advice still holds true.
Since you asked....If he wants to sleep through the night, I'd let him. You need the rest and he's getting big enough to go longer between feedings, so be thankful that it happens to be at nighttime! Sounds like he is beginning to adjust somewhat to your nightime sleep schedule. Your body will figure out how much and when to have the milk available, so don't worry. It's all still a work in progress...
Do you tell Beck stories about me and show him pictures of me everyday?
Don't wake him! We learned the hard way... I woke Ivy up to eat every day to eat for a week... and then that was the hardest habit to break her of. As long as he is gaining wait let him sleep- your milk will redistribute for during the day. :) You are such a good mommy!!
Post a Comment