Thursday, September 17, 2009

This is Not Okay

We are having serious night issues. Seth is sleeping, Beck is sleeping, I AM NOT. Why? Because our home has turned in to a cricket brothel. Because Seth can't sleep when I feed Beck in bed, and I fall asleep when I do (oops), I go downstairs to nurse him during the night. On more than one occasion, I have been kept company by a cricket. I see him across the room, yet somehow I feel him walking across my feet, so clearly I'm forced to keep my feet off the ground for the entire time I'm nursing. Holding a baby to your chest while hovering your legs in the air is a sight to see but it is not easy. Little Jiminy's presence is bad, but this is not the issue. The issue is when I go back up to bed he likes to court the ladies and chirp ALL NIGHT. Just when I'm about to fall asleep, "chirp, chirp chirp." It is driving me crazy! Why don't you just kill it, you ask? The only thing I hate worse then bugs is killing bugs. Picturing their guts splatter everywhere makes me gag and if I miss I know they're gonna run right at my feet or jump on me. The thought of that gives me anxiety, actually doing it is out of the question. I could wake up Seth to go kill it but I don't see that going over well. I did "accidentally" wake him up ("I'm sorry, I didn't mean to punch you, but since you're up...") to kill a spider on the steps but spiders are a whole new ball game. Don't get me started on the 3 house spiders that have graced us with their presence. BARF. After doing a little research, I've learned that the male house spider comes out at night in search of females. Cricket brothel, spider brothel, my house is a Red Light Special.

Now incase you didn't come here to learn of my insect/spider problems, Beck is doing very well with our pseudo sleeping schedule. He comes home from Millies, eats, watches Sports Center, then hits the sack around 7/8. He wakes up again at 12:00 and 4:00 which is awesome! After 4:00 its a crap shoot, he's woken up again at 5:00, 6:00 and 7:00. If we can just make it to 6:00 or 7:00 consistently I would be THRILLED!

Now, I think this is a good schedule- I don't think waking up twice a night at 7 weeks is bad especially with 3 hours to sleep in between. HOWEVER, I've been reading other baby blogs and all these other women are using Babywise, Baby Boot Camp and Baby Blah Blah Blah techniques. My techniques include the swaddling blanket, the swing and the boob. I don't have any strict regiment of times/orders/self soothing, I just do whatever I can to get him to not cry and sleep. Is this gonna come back to bite me in the butt? I'm worried that, like the nipple shield, I'm just doing what's easiest and gets the job done at the moment but what also may have long term consequences. I've read books and made it to about page 40 when I remind myself that it's just a baby, its my understanding that they've been around for a while now... maybe even a couple years before Babywise was published. If other parents and babies made it out ok without implementing all these rules, then so will we.

UPDATE:
Two nights ago, there was a pest convention downstairs with 1 house spider, 1 little spider (small enough to kill w/o guts flying), 1 cricket and 1 inch long black beetle/roach bug when I went downstairs to feed Beck. Sorry Seth, get some ear plugs.

Beck woke up only 1 time last night! Hooray!! I fed him around10:30, he woke up at 2:30am and then again at 6:30 am. I will admit getting him back to bed at 2:30 am was hard. For some reason he just wanted to hang out. Well son, you can hang out at 2:30 am when you're in college... for now go to bed. I laid him in his bassinet, gave him his paci and closed my eyes... I opened my eyes and he was staring at me, I chuckled and closed my eyes again... next time I opened my eyes his eyes were closed, mouth open, passed out. Just as I was telling Babywise to suck it, Beck wakes back up and insists on being picked up. So he just slept with me the rest of the night and although not ideal we're definitely making progress! What a big boy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suck up the bugs in the vacuum cleaner

DSW

Katie said...

Thought about that- the sucking up bug attachment is missing and the spiders are always right against the wall so i cant use the actual vacuum.

Jennifer said...

I don't know if I would advertise that your house is a Red Light Special - you might get some strangers lurking around??

Mama Smors said...

I read Babywise... pretty much followed the eat, wake, sleep routine. Otherwise I did what worked for Ivy. Too many steps, info, etc freaked me out. And any time I would refer to "but Babywise says..." Greg would quickly remind me that Ivy hadn't read the book yet so she could care less what the book has to say! Good luck with the yucky bugs! When it is cold outside they will all freeze and you won't see them anymore, one reason to look forward to winter!