Friday, October 23, 2009

Mommas

You don't appreciate your mom until you become a mom. I realized that the very first day Beck was born. I could not believe how much I loved him just because I was his mom and then realized, wow, that must be how much my mom loves me. Moms go through weeks of sleep deprived torture just because they love their baby. We don't shower, we wear throw up as perfume and we get pooped on weekly all for a little boy with a bald head and a baby mullett. The 6 weeks I got to spend with Beck after he was born, were the best 6 weeks of my life. Seth has gotten the pleasure of spending the past couple weeks doing daddy daycare rather than going to work. These couple of weeks Beck has also started to really recognize people. Seth and Beck have really bonded lately and when Seth walks in the door Beck shrugs his shoulders, curls up his legs and grins from ear to ear. When I walk in the door...

NOTHING!!

Ummm excuse me child, do you not remember July 30th at 5:46 PM? Do you not remember waking me up every single hour for 3 weeks straight to eat? Do you not remember the huge dump you took on me as soon as I changed into my first cute outfit post delivery? Do you not remember when my boobs swelled up to the size of cantalopes and it even hurt to breath? You must not remember when I got a 102 fever, awful headache and AGAIN painful boobs from an infection you gave me! Don't tell me you remember your 2 week checkup when I ran out of the doctor's office with a nice red stain on the back of my dress after cleaning up a nice red suprise that fell all over the floor. Do you not remember everything I've done for you? Do you not remember me??????

I guess he doesn't remember the way I don't remember November 20th, 1984. The way I don't remember telling my mom I'd cut her eye out with a piece of "gwass" at 2 (Hmm... what did they let me watch on TV). And the way I don't remember all she's done for me even yesterday. Being a mom can be a thankless job but it's all worth it to see that boy smile to anyone, even if it's not me. I'll get those smiles one day, I'll just buy him better presents.

So a big thank you to my mom, Seth's mom and all moms. For loving us so much it hurts and letting us poop on you too.


4 comments:

JB said...

Oh my, this post took me by surprise!! I wish I was as eloquent a writer as you, not sure what to say other than I am still enjoying being a mother to you(that never stops) and watching you grow into your new role as a mom, (and a great one at that!!) I have loved being involved in every facet of your life and am happy you will get to experience the same joys as I have with little Beck. I look forward to traveling this path together. I love you. Mom

jch said...

Ok.....you guys are going to make me cry.......

Jennifer said...

When I read the heading, I began singing Waylon and Willie's, "Mommas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" until I realized that this post was a little different from the others. I appreciate the kudos!! I can relate to the what you are feeling. Being a Mom can seem like a thankless job, but it is well worth it!! It is evident that you and Seth are doing a great job because Beck is such a happy baby.

Mama Smors said...

Loved this post!! You were the first to hold Beck, first to feed Beck, the first smell that he mastered, the first face that he memorized, the first kiss on Beck's sweet cheeks.... on and on! Then the jealous day comes when they start bonding with the Daddy (which is oh so important)- but in no time he'll be back to being a mama's boy! Babies LOVE their mommies!!